- 3 to 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dierbergs extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped celery
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped carrots
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vermouth
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, OR 1 teaspoon dried
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary, OR 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup Dierbergs flour, dissolved in ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup whole pitted green olives
Season short ribs with salt and pepper. In Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat; cook short ribs in batches until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Place ribs on platter; set aside.
Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to drippings in Dutch oven; cook stirring to scrape browned bits from bottom of pan until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in vermouth; cook until reduced by half, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Add short ribs along with any accumulated juices to pan. Pour broth over top. Stir in Kalamata olives, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf, cover, and bake in 325°F. oven until meat is very tender, about 3 to 3½ hours.
Place meat on serving platter.
Skim fat from pan drippings; remove and discard bay leaf. Gradually stir flour mixture into pan drippings. Add green olives; cook over medium heat stirring frequently until thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve short ribs with gravy.
Serving Size: Per Serving
Cholesterol: 54 mg
Fat: 21 g
Sodium: 1195 mg
Carbohydrates: 15 g
Protein: 21 g
Saturated Fat: 5 g