- 1 tablespoon Dierbergs olive oil
- 1 package split, bone-in,skin-on chicken breasts (about 1½ to 2 pounds)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 cups water
- 1 large white onion, cut into wedges
- 1 piece fresh ginger root (about 3 inches), peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 10 whole cloves
- 4 whole star anise (Produce Department)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- Stems from 1 bunch cilantro
- 8 ounces (½ of 16-ounce package) Thai rice noodles, prepared according to package directions
- Toppings - Fresh basil, cilantro, mint, lime wedges, bean sprouts, jalapeno pepper rings, sliced green onion
Season chicken with pepper.
In Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken skin-side down; cook until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add water, onion, ginger root, chicken base, fish sauce, whole spices, and cilantro stems; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
Place chicken on cutting board; let stand until slightly cooled. Remove and discard skin and bone from chicken; shred chicken with fork.
Strain broth; return to pan and stir in shredded chicken.
Divide rice noodles among 4 bowls. Ladle generous amount of soup into each bowl. Top each as desired.
Serving Size: Nutrition information is approximate.
Saturated Fat: N/A