- 6 strips sliced bacon, diced
- 1 can (6 ounces) Dierbergs tomato paste
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 2 cups peeled, chopped turnip
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) dark beer (Guinness)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Dierbergs flour, dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- 1 box (11.36 ounces) Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix (Red Lobster)
In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon stirring frequently until crisp. Remove from pan with slotted spoon to slow cooker.
Add half of the beef to skillet with bacon drippings; cook stirring occasionally until beef is browned, about 6 minutes.
Place beef in 4-quart slow cooker that has been lightly coated with no-stick cooking spray. Repeat procedure with beef adding tomato paste at end of browning.
Add beef with tomato paste, carrot, turnip, onion, broth, beer, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper to slow cooker. Cover and cook 6 hours on low heat setting or 4 hours on high heat setting.
Turn slow cooker to high heat setting; slowly whisk flour mixture into slow cooker; cook stirring frequently until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
Remove and discard bay leaves.
Prepare biscuit mix according to package directions, stirring until soft dough forms.
Drop by spoonfuls onto boiling stew; cook uncovered 10 minutes.
Cover and cook until topping is done, about an additional 20 minutes.
Ladle into serving bowls.
Serving Size: Per serving without biscuit topping
Cholesterol: 104 mg
Fat: 30 g
Sodium: 506 mg
Carbohydrates: 20 g
Protein: 33 g
Saturated Fat: N/A