- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 cup of your favorite red chile sauce1 (28-oz.) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 roasted Hatch Chile Peppers, peeled; seeded; chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- Sweet corn, roasted
- 2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ⅓ cup sherry
- 1 lime, juice only
- Garnishes: Avocado, Cilantro, Shredded cheese, Tortilla strips
In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and cook the onions for 2 minutes. Once the onions have softened, add the garlic, carrots and celery and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken breasts and stir in the chile sauce.
Next, add the stewed tomatoes, Hatch, bell pepper, chicken stock, corn, oregano, cumin, chili powder and sherry. Gently stir and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until chicken breasts are completely cooked.
Remove chicken from pot and let cool, then shred and add back to the pot with lime juice.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with tortilla strips, shredded cheese, cilantro and avocado. Makes about 8-10 serving.