Eat Hearty® started in 1986 through a partnership between Dierbergs Markets and Missouri Baptist Medical Center, a member of BJC HealthCareSM. Read on to learn more about the key components of this program aimed at helping you choose heart-healthy foods.
Dierbergs Shelf Tags
When you shop, look for the Eat Hearty logo to help you identify heart-healthy foods. These foods do not exceed specific levels for total fat, saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium, as recommended in the latest Food and Drug Administration guidelines. Dierbergs professional home economists and Missouri Baptist Medical Center registered dietitians regularly evaluate foods to determine which qualify.
Eat Hearty recipes and cooking tips are provided through the Eat Hearty cooking classes offered by Missouri Baptist Medical Center and Dierbergs School of Cooking. Brochures with class information and schedules are available online or at all Dierbergs Markets.
Eat Hearty recipes or modifications are identified by the heart logo in the Dierbergs Everybody Cooks® magazine, a free quarterly publication available at all Dierbergs Markets. Also, look for the heart on all Eat Hearty recipes in Dierbergs' cookbooks.
Eat Hearty Guidelines
- Choose a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, and moderate in total fat.
- Limit use of solid fats, such as butter, hard margarine, lard and partially hydrogenated shortening. Substitute with vegetable oils.
- Choose fat-free or low-fat products, cooked dry beans and peas, fish, lean meats and poultry.
- Use the Nutrition Facts label and the Eat Hearty shelf tags to help choose foods lower in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol.
- Use these daily guidelines for making heart-healthy food choices.
- Keep cholesterol intake under 200 mg per day.
- Keep sodium intake under 2,400 mg per day.
- Include two to four servings of fruit per day.
- Include three to five servings of vegetables per day.
- Include fiber-rich breads, cereals and whole grains every day.
Eat Hearty Recipe Criteria
- Appetizers, Vegetable Side Dishes, Salsas, Sauces and Dressings - 3 g fat/480 mg sodium
- Starch Side Dishes, Salads (vegetable/pasta/fruit) and Desserts - 5 g fat/480 mg sodium
- Main Dishes/Entrees, Entree Soups and Salads and Sandwiches - 10 g fat/960 mg sodium
Dierbergs Kitchen Eat Hearty Fresh & Fit Meals Criteria
- Calories: 700 or less
- Total Fat: 26 grams or less
- Saturated Fat: 5 grams or less
- Cholesterol: 105 mg or less
- Trans Fat: Less than .5 grams
- Sodium: 800 mg or less
We developed these meals by adhering to key recommendations from the USDA’s recently released Dietary Guidelines, which call for eating patterns rich with vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, beans and nuts, healthy oils and nutrient-dense whole foods.
Click here to view the complete Dietary Guidelines report >