Dierbergs Plan for Des Peres Store
Click here to view larger images of renderings >
For Immediate Release: Friday, October 2, 2009
Dierbergs Submits Site Plan For New Des Peres Store
Dierbergs Markets submitted its application Wednesday, Sept. 30, to the city of Des Peres for the proposed construction of a new supermarket on the south side of Manchester Road. The site, which presently includes a now-shuttered Barnes and Noble, is bordered by Lindeman Road on the west, Tallie Drive on the east and Manhattan Avenue on the south. The Dierbergs development proposes significant improvements to Manchester Road traffic signals at the Lindeman and the Bopp Road/Tallie Drive intersections and should positively impact the traffic flow in the area.
The company is proposing a free-standing 75,000-square-foot-store on approximately 6.5 acres. Dierbergs has tailored its construction and design to specifically address the location’s existing zoning. The result requires no expansion or change in zoning patterns or the City’s commercial district.
It will have the distinction of being Dierbergs’ first supermarket to offer covered parking, with 42 percent of its parking spaces planned for a lower level of the store. The site plan provides both a traditional surface parking area as well as a covered lower level parking area with customer—and cart—escalators and elevators leading directly into the supermarket.
Click Here to View Larger Image of Map >
Click Here to View Larger Elevation Images>
“Heading to the supermarket during any type of inclement weather is no longer going to be an issue,” said Jerry Ebest, Dierbergs vice president of real estate. “Customers can go from car to aisles and back to car without a worry.”
The protected parking also decreases the asphalt needs as a percentage of the site. This design allows Dierbergs to dedicate approximately 23 percent of its acreage to landscaped “green” space, including an exceptional green streetscape running the length of the store along Manchester Road. The visual appeal of the site is dramatically improved compared to a more traditional expanse of asphalt, parking lot and minimal landscaping.
Things will be “greener” inside, too. Bob Francis, director of engineering and store development, said the proposed new store will boast the latest technologies in cooling, refrigeration and lighting—features that conserve energy and are smart for the environment. Dierbergs’ newest store, which opened last year in Jefferson County, was then touted as the company’s most energy efficient to date with features such as leading-edge air conditioning equipment, enclosed beer and dairy cases, and energy efficient, motion-controlled LED lighting in cases throughout the store.
“All of the energy efficiencies we adopted last year are part of our Des Peres store design, and we continue to review how we can improve even on those,” Francis said.
Inside, customers can expect all of the services and features that are the hallmark of Dierbergs stores: an even larger-than-usual produce department; an expansive deli and prepared foods department; a Whole Life department with natural, organic and gluten-free products; a fresh bakery with a European pastry chef; full service meat and seafood departments; unmatched grocery variety; and a pharmacy and florist.
This will be the company’s first multi-level store, showcasing a bold, new design that allows for plenty of fresh features unique and specific to the Des Peres location. A second-level mezzanine will give customers a respite from the shopping areas to enjoy the store’s expanded offering of fresh-prepared foods.
Other planned in-store features for the Des Peres store include:
- Dierbergs’ largest Produce Department to date, offering more variety and more organic options in addition to the 200 fresh organic produce items currently available at most Dierbergs locations.
- No other retail supermarket chain in St. Louis comes close to the amount of locally grown produce available in its stores. In the summertime, Dierbergs stores have “Farmers Markets Within Our Markets”, featuring an extensive and expanding list of fresh produce from Missouri and Illinois family farms.
- A remote pharmacy drive-through in the covered parking area that uses video cameras for consultation with the Dierbergs pharmacists.
- A new Dierbergs Florist & Gifts, ranked the No. 1 FTD florist in Missouri and ninth out of 20,000 FTD florists nationwide.
- An extensive Whole Life Foods section, which will cement Dierbergs’ position, among conventional supermarkets, as the Midwest grocer with the largest selection of natural and organic products.
- One of St. Louis’ largest assortments of Gluten Free foods, an important category for individuals living with celiac disease.
- A larger seafood department, which includes a growing menu of freshly prepared, ready-to-cook (or heat) seafood selections.
- An expanded meat department staffed with full-time meat cutters, plus an extraordinary meat menu of specialty cuts and entrées, expertly cut, hand-trimmed, seasoned and ready to roast.
- Extraordinary grocery variety with more than 75,000 inventory SKUs.
- A focus on food education . The store will offer a multitude of in-store food-education opportunities, supported by Dierbergs staff of home economists, including a free quarterly Everybody Cooks® recipe magazine, free recipe cards, chef demonstration/sampling events and video instruction.
- A continuation of Dierbergs Markets’ partnership with Missouri Baptist Medical Center to focus on heart healthy eating through the Eat Hearty® program, which identifies for customers foods and recipes within the store that are heart-healthier choices.
- A comprehensive party center with fine wines, table wines, spirits and domestic and imported beers. The Des Peres store will offer an expanded selection of wines rated 90 points or higher by The Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast magazines.
ØFriday and Saturday evening wine tastings
ØValue wine selections via a permanent “Treasure Bin” display and monthly wine picks from Dierbergs’ own in-house wine experts
ØWine education newsletters
Dine-In or Carryout Opportunities :
- The Midwest’s largest selection of fresh-prepared foods. Dierbergs Kitchen’s daily fare includes more than 300 salads, pastas, meat entrées and other fresh-made foods.
- One of St. Louis’ largest assortments of rotisserie and oven-roasted meats, including whole chickens and whole roasted chicken breasts, turkey breasts, succulent pork roasts and beef pot roasts.
- Healthy, light selections prepared at Dierbergs’ sushi bar by professional, in-store sushi chefs.
- An expansive olive and antipasti bar.
- Free, fresh seafood preparation by Dierbergs seafood specialists, who will bake, broil or steam customers seafood purchases for take-home or to enjoy in the mezzanine dining area.
- The Des Peres store will be Dierbergs third with a French pastry kitchen staffed by a European pastry chef.
Tracing its roots to a country store founded in Creve Coeur, Mo., in 1854, Dierbergs Markets is now a fourth-generation, family-owned business with 4,000 Associates in 23 St. Louis metropolitan-area stores.
# # #
Visit Des Peres, MO, website >
Media Contacts :
Todd E. Vasel
Dierbergs Markets Inc.